Sunday, November 7, 2010

Greetings From the Himalayans!!!

After 20 hours of traveling and 4 plane rides later, I am finally in the Himalayans! The best part so far?... I would say flying past Mt. Everest! Last night I met a couple of the participants of the 100 Mile Himalayan Stage Race which begins on October 25th. We are currently at 6,000 ft and the altitude has not affected me as much as I thought it would (cross your fingers when I will be running at 12,000 ft come Monday!). After having my first bit of sleep in 2 days, I finally feel fresh and revived this morning. I enjoyed coffee with my new friends followed by breakfast (eggs, toast, baked beans?..Lol). During breakfast we could hear dinner being prepared...a chicken screaming in the kitchen. I think I can officially say that I am now a proud vegetarian... Lol. After breakfast I went on my first run with 2 new friends. We ran past the Lake, monastery, main village and enjoyed views of the peaks from a far off distance. The weather is very tropical and quite humid which I did not expect. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of the runners today as well as maybe visiting the local monastery. Tomorrow we will be traveling to Darjeeling to ride the toy train as well as visit tea huts. Well that's all I got for now... I'm just relaxing before the race begins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment