Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 5 - 17 Miles Left!!!!

I woke up at 4 AM and was feeling sooooo sore!!!! I knew it was the last day but with the giant blister on my foot, the sore throat and the VERY sore legs, I was ready to finish the Himalayan 100 Mile Stage Race! After 2 hardboiled eggs, 1 banana and 2 pieces of toast with honey.... I was ready! All of the runners gathered onto a bus which took 1 hour through the town to the starting point. At the blow of the whistle we were off! The first 8 miles were uphill on a windy road through the rain forest. I actually appreciated the uphill because it gave my legs time to repair (or for them to loose feeling!). The remaining 9 miles consisted of rolling hills with partial up hills. I was feeling very tired and I definitely was ready to end this race! I reached the last station and was overjoyed to hear I only had 1.5 miles to go. I began to sprint the remaining mile and was so happy to hear music ahead. School children were playing flutes & drums and everyone in town came to cheer. At last I crossed the finish line! I hugged my new runner friends and continued to cheer for the incoming runners. After everyone was finished we took the bus back to Mirik Lake lodge to get ready for the awards ceremony & supper. The final results came in... I took 1rst USA, 13 place overall and 6th female! I did not win a placement award however I took home the award for "Most Beautiful Smiled Participant!". Lol... It was an AMAZING experience and a trip I'll never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment